1. How can I apply?
Usually you can find application information on the Wesley Zaidan website. Visit our website and read the details to apply. You need to apply online for any program. For international and domestic programs, you are required to submit a recommendation letter after applied online. We review your documents first, then conduct an interview (could be online).
2. When do you open a program?
It varies depending on the intended participants of the program, and whether the program is an international program, a domestic program, or a lecture. Trainings and programs with overnight stays for younger generations such as university students will be conducted from July to September and from February to March according to the long vacation period at high schools and universities (including graduate schools). The timing of lectures varies every year. Please visit our website for more details.
3. How much does it cost to participate in a program?
It depends on the program you participate in. For programs with overnight stays, you can participate at half to one-fourth of the total travel cost instead of paying for full amount. The program fee is more acceptable since the foundation supports the participation fee. And many of the lectures are offered for free. Please visit our website for more details.
4. Can parents or friends prepare the recommendation letter to apply for the program?
We ask a third party who knows you well, other than your parents or friends, to write a recommendation letter. Ask a pastor if you are attending a church, or you can ask a school teacher to write the recommendation letter.
5. Can I apply for the same program or training every year?
At the Wesley Foundation, one person can apply for the same program only once to provide many people with the opportunity. However, for programs recruiting internships, you may have an opportunity to apply for the same program as an intern.
6. Can I apply for the program twice a year?
Yes, but in different programs.
7. What kind of questions will I be asked at an interview?
We will ask you whether you understand the purpose of the program, your application motive, and how you would like to leverage your experience. If you apply for an international program, a simple English conversation assessment will be conducted to determine your English proficiency.
8. What am I supposed to write in the report?
Describe the participation motive for the training, what you learned in the training, and how you would like to leverage your experience in the training in the future.
9. It seems that there are many programs for women. Why?
The history of the Wesley Foundation inherits the legacy of female missionaries from North America over 100 years ago who devoted their lives to develop education for Japanese women. Therefore, one of our missions is to empower women in today’s society, and we value programs for women. Recently, we have more programs both for men and women.
10. Is training only for young people?
No. One of the Wesley Foundation’s missions is to develop the next generation, and that is why you see a lot of training for young people. However we have also conducted many programs for a wide range of age groups in domestic seminars, lectures, and international programs.
11. Should I be Christian to apply?
No. Since the Wesley Foundation is an organization based on the spirit of Christianity, we hold many programs based on Christian values. However, anyone, including those who are comfortable with Christianity and want to know/understand Christianity, can apply and participate in the program.
12. What should I do with overseas travel insurance?
To participate in an international program, you are required to apply for overseas travel insurance designated by our foundation. You will be responsible for the overseas travel insurance fee.
13. Is there any free time during the program?
For international programs, the schedule is usually tight from morning to night, so do not expect to have complete free time. There is some free time on the last day. And some earlier participants went for sightseeing in the city and shopping.
14. How much English competency is required to participate in an international program?
You are not required much English proficiency for international programs intended for participants only from Japan. However, leadership training and Peace Seminars, which participants are gathered from various Asian countries, are all conducted in English. Pre-assignments, presentations during training, and conversations between participants are all in English, so you need to be able to communicate in English at a certain level.
1. How can I use the conference room?
2. What is a “Wesley Registration Number”?
A number that each qualified group will receive after registration.
3. What are the criteria to be registered under Category II?
Groups that received public certification from the Japanese government.
4. What are the reservation conditions?
Please refer to the “IV. Rules of Use” of our User Agreement.
5. Can I keep a room tentatively?
We do not accept keeping rooms tentatively in order to provide equal opportunity to reserve the room for each user. Please make sure to reserve the rooms after your schedule is fixed.
6. How can I use the rental equipment?
Fill out the “Request of Equipment” section of the Reservation Form when you submit a request. We will provide instructions on how to use the rental equipment in the confirmation e-mail.
7. I want to know the availability of each room.
You can check the availability of each room from the Reservation Calendar.
8. How do I pay?
By bank transfer payment (in yen only) to our bank account with MUFJ.
9. When is the payment due date?
The payment due date will be written on your invoice attached to the confirmation e-mail.
Case 1: If the reservation is 11 days or more in advance, the payment must be completed within 7 days from the date we confirm your reservation.
Case 2: If the reservation is 1-10 days in advance, the payment must be made immediately after the confirmation of your reservation request.
10. I want to make a change in my registration information.
Submit a new registration form. In the remarks/comment section of the form, write down the reason why you submitted a new form.
11. I want to make a change in my reservation.
Users can only change their reservation details before payment by resubmitting the Reservation Form for their new request. Users must cancel their original reservation in order to change their reservation details after payment.
12. I want to cancel my reservation.
HOW TO USE
13. Can you arrange the room layout for us?
We will not change the room layout for the users. Users may change the layout of the room, but it should be returned to the original state when leaving.
14. Can I eat and drink in the conference rooms?
No food and drinks are allowed in the building and the conference rooms (except for drinks in a container with a lid: example – pet bottle or water bottle).
15. Can you keep my belongings if I send them beforehand?
We cannot keep your belongings inside the conference rooms since different groups may use the same room on the same day.
16. How early can I enter the room?
Users can enter the conference rooms from their rental time.
17. How should I enter/leave the room on the day of use?
There will be no reception required on the day of your use. The conference rooms will be open, and users do not have to lock the doors when leaving.
18. Can I extend the duration on the day of use?
Yes, you can extend the duration as long as there is no group coming to use the same room after your reserved time. Users must contact Wesley Foundation immediately after they extend their use. We will send an invoice for the extended time.
19. Can we leave our belongings and room layout as we set them up since we are going to use the same room for more than two consecutive days?
Yes. However, Wesley Foundation will not be held liable for any loss and/or damage of the belongings left in the room. Please make sure to return the layout to the original state when leaving the room.
20. Is internet access available in the conference rooms?
Yes, free Wi-Fi is provided in each room.
21. Can I use adhesive tapes and/or pushpins on the walls?
No, please do not use any of the items on the walls.
22. Do you lend whiteboard markers?
No, we don’t. Please bring your own markers if you plan to use the whiteboard.
23. Can I view the facility?
Yes, as long as the room is not occupied on the day of your visit. Please inform us the date, time, and room you wish to view.
24. I forgot something in the conference room, how can I get them back?
Please contact Wesley Foundation office via phone call (03-6427-4696) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org) during 9:00-17:00 from Monday to Friday. Please provide the details of when, where, and what you have forgotten.
Social Justice Activity Grant
1. Can I apply for grants for activities that I carry out individually?
You are required to be active as an organization, so individual activities are not eligible to apply.
2. Are projects implemented overseas eligible to apply?
As long as the results can be returned to Japan, it is eligible even if the project is implemented overseas.
3. Are the expenses incurred in the previous year eligible to be filed if it is directly related to the project?
Since the grant covers only the expenses incurred during the grant period, the expenses from the previous year, even if they are related to the project, are not eligible.
4. Can I apply for grants while receiving a grant from another organization?
Yes, you can apply for it while receiving a grant from another organization. There is a space on the application form to indicate which organization you are receiving the grant from, so please fill it out.
5. Grants from another organization have been confirmed after your grant delivery is finalized. Can I divert the expenses?
Diversion can be approved depending on the content of the expenses. Please contact the person in charge of the grant of our foundation by e-mail.
6. Can I file labor charge and management costs?
You cannot file any labor charge and management costs. Please refer the application guide for more details on the expenses covered by the grant.
7. Can you deliver a part of the grant before the project is implemented?
As a general rule, the grant is delivered after the foundation approves the post-project report. However if there are special circumstances, the delivery timing cab be changed after consultation. Please contact the person in charge.
8. How should I submit the application form?
Submit it to the person in charge of the grant of the Foundation by email attachment.
Educational Grants School Fee in Japan
9. Is it required to submit any documents to prove my financial need?
Submission of income certificates is not required. However, financial need and social support need are included in the application requirements. So, please describe the details of your financial situation and the reason why you need social support in the column “Reasons for Application” on the application form
10. I am a foreign national living in Japan. Can I apply?
Nationality does not matter as long as you live in Japan. However, international students are not eligible to apply. Also, you need to fill in all application documents in Japanese.
11. My academic advisor is a foreigner and it is difficult to write a recommendation letter in Japanese. Is it acceptable to have it written in English?
If your academic advisor’s mother tongue is not Japanese, the only recommendation letter may be written in English (other languages are not allowed).
12. Is the applicable school fee the tuition only?
Not only tuition, but also the annual school payment including facility management fees is eligible for the grant.
13. Can I combine the grant with other scholarships?
Yes you can. In that case, state the name and amount of the scholarship in the “Other grant status” section in the application form.
14. How many people can apply from one school?
A maximum of two people can apply. (In the case that a university and a graduate school have the same name, a maximum of two applicants in total can apply.)
15. When screening applicants on campus, which points should we place emphasis on?
The following screening criteria are to be emphasized:
- Whether to have financial and social support needs
- Whether to have an interest in social issues and willingness to contribute to problem-solving
- Whether to have been sincerely devoting themselves in their study as students
- Whether to have actively participated in various activities such as volunteer activities other than study in order to grow up
- Whether to have the willingness to learn leadership skills and to contribute to society
Wesley Zaidan is a foundation based on Christianity, so it is desirable to support either Christian students or students who have a deep understanding of Christianity.
16. How should I submit the application documents?
They must be submitted as email attachments by your school’s department in charge (e.g. student affairs office).
17. Is it allowed to newly apply for the grants again even though I have already received the same grants?
Yes, it is. However, according to the screening situation, your priority to be selected might be lowered in comparison to those who apply for the grants for the first time.
Seminars & Training Fee Grant
18. What kind of training is eligible to apply?
Intended training includes training to develop human resource (eg, training to learn social issues, leadership training, etc.) and training for educators.
19. I am a foreign national living in Japan. Can I apply?
Nationality does not matter as long as you live in Japan. However, you need to fill in all application documents in Japanese.
20. I haven’t decided if I can participate in the training yet. Can I apply?
As a general rule, you can apply for training only if you have decided to participate in.
21. How should I submit the application documents?
To apply for the Seminars & Training Fee Grant, the application form must be completed in Japanese. Please go to the page of Seminars & Training Fee Program on the webpage of Wesley Zaidan. After accessing the application form and fill it in, please submit it. Then, please submit a document with details about the seminars or training and a recommendation letter as an e-mail attachment to Wesley Zaidan.
Community and Development Grant
22. Can I apply for the grants even though I have received grants from another organization?
Yes, you can. The application form has a column to write about the grants you have received from another organization, so please fill it in.
23. Can I apply for the grants even though I have already received another grant from Wesley Zaidan?
Yes, you can.
24. Is it possible to apply for the grants for personnel expenses and administrative expenses?
Personnel expenses for local staff who conduct activities and administrative expenses for a local office are eligible for support. You can check Application Guide for the details of expenses to be subsidized.
25. How should I submit the application documents?
Please submit all the application documents to the grants’ program personnel of Wesley Zaidan. In the case that the data capacity is too big to send, you can use file transfer service.
26. How should I apply for the internship program?
To apply for the Internship Program, the application form must be completed in Japanese. Please go to the page of Internship Program on the webpage of Wesley Zaidan. After accessing the application form and fill it in, please submit it. A recommendation letter must be written by a person who knows you well (except your family member) such as a professor of your university or a boss at your workplace. It should be submitted to Wesley Zaidan as an email attachment. The form of recommendation letter can be downloaded on our website.
27. What kinds of skills are required to an intern?
Willingness to serve society is more valued than having a specific skill. Having a certain qualification, experience or linguistic proficiency in regard to the fields of activities that the host organization, school or institution engages might lead to a favorable evaluation.
28. Is this a paid internship program?
Travel expenses and volunteer insurance premium are covered. As for the other kinds of allowances, it will be determined through discussion among the applicant, the host organization and Wesley Zaidan.
29. Can I request which organization that I want to be dispatched to?
You cannot give any requests about specific organization that you will be dispatched to when you apply for the internship program. However, Wesley Zaidan will hold hearings after application to interview you about your areas of interest. So, you can share your requests at that time.
30. How long does it take to match an applicant with a host organization?
In the case that there is an organization that the applicant has an interest in and that can accept an intern, we are going to make arrangement immediately, and an interview and discussion among the applicant, the host organization and Wesley Zaidan will be done. In the case that a host organization available is not found, it might take some time.
31. Will the internship end at the end of fiscal year?
Interns are hired every fiscal year in principle, so they enter into a maximum of one-year agreement up to the end of the fiscal year. If they would like to continue their internship for the next fiscal year, they need to submit required documents to extend the contract, and discussion with the host organization will be had to decide their continuing eligibility.
32. Is it possible that interns gain employment with the host organizations after they are dispatched?
There is no guarantee that the internship program will provide a job offer to interns at their host organizations. The purpose of the program is to provide them with opportunities to learn community service at their host organizations. Please understand beforehand.
33. Our organization would like to accept interns, but how can we do?
In the case that your organization would like to accept interns, a person in charge of the internship program may contact Wesley Zaidan staff Haibara by email, using the contact details below.
Email address: email@example.com (person in charge: Haibara)
Temporary Staffing Program
34. When we apply for temporary staffing, do we need to select a person to be dispatched beforehand?
Yes, you need to. The candidate’s CV and profile are required to be submitted at the time of application.
35. Is it possible to apply in the case that we dispatch temporary staff for a domestic project?
Yes, it is.
36. Is there any upper limit amount of application budget?
We do not put a ceiling on it. We will examine the budget submitted and decide the grants’ amount to be provided, which deems appropriate.
37. In the case that a local host organization is different from an applicant organization, is it possible to apply?
Yes, it is.